Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Caution Horses

is the name of a Cowboy Junkies album that I kinda like when I'm in the right kind of mood, and the sign they should have posted on Stock Trail road tonight. After a few days of slacking (okay so maybe it has been a little over a week) I went for a jog tonight. I had forgotten the mass of trucks, trailers and horses that I'd seen mustering on my way home from work. I think that my estimation of 500 head was pretty accurate but I didn't realize this until I was right in the thick of the herd. Yes, the Caldwell Night Rodeo is upon us. Luckily a certain chica took me horse riding a few weeks back, so my innate distrust of equines is at an all time low at the moment. Nevertheless, I spent most of the run walking around horses and steaming piles of horse dung (not so easy in the dark, let me tell ya). The horse-folk seem to have a few levels of decency on the carnival goers I was wading through earlier this summer however, and I got no harassment despite going amongst them in running shorts and blue polyester jersey, so that was nice. I also learned that truly serious horse owners dump that whole pickup business in favor of a semi-tractor. Some of their horse trailers rivaled semi-trailers however, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

No comments: