Sunday, July 18, 2004

Alive if not entirely unscathed

Well, amazingly enough I made it back from Reuter's birthday party more or less unscathed. I say amazing because Reuter did manage to dole out two bloody noses in the 18 or 20 hours that I was there. There is one lesson I learned well quite some time ago and that is that Reuter is a dangerous animal and not to be approached lightly. Plus, I knew from the thick pine forests that I was in Yetti country and Reuter is especially wild when he senses his own kind nearby. For these reasons I kept an eye on him at all times.

On the home front:
Apparently the damned varmint rock-chuck animals have been paying attention to this whole duct tape and sheets of plastic home-land security business because the chemical approach proved unsuccessful. Instead of dying, they moved under the woodshed. Old Man Geeze is not likely to let a few varmints get the upper hand so easily however, and has upped the ante by cleverly placing a fox trap in the entrance of their hole. The next move is theirs.

And as a follow up to the SGI post:
Apparently SGI pretty much agrees with me, as their next big project is going to be one Linux kernel stretched over 1024 processors and 3TB of RAM. This thing is mammoth, has enough memory to put my whole life in, and has to eat power like a small town, but damn. WHAT A MACHINE!

No comments: